Tuesday, July 12, 2005

All-Star Memories

The one All-Star game I attended was the 1987 game in Oakland. I have no idea why I would have missed the 1984 game in San Francisco, other than the price of a ticket. I was a college student with no money, but I don't know why that would have kept me away. Anyway, '87 was the only year I had A's season tickets. I bought the cheapest plan in the cheapest seats to get "3rd deck or bleacher tickets" for the All Star game (bleacher tickets weren't yet offered as season ticket plans). I assumed that meant I could choose bleacher tickets. Then I traded in all my 2nd deck tickets down the line for a full season of bleacher tickets. Come All-Star ticket time, the A's offered me 3rd deck tickets. After a go around with the front office, several of us ended up with our coveted bleacher tickets.

The workout and home run derby on Monday was spectacular. The bleachers were packed full of ball hounds. I was one of them. One player threw a ball up into the bleachers (Jack Clark, I think?) and I was at the bottom of the scrum, with my face in the standing puddle of beer, soda and I don't know what else, but I got the ball. It was an actual All-Star game ball, with its red lettering, as opposed to the standard American League extras that both teams used in batting practice. It didn't have the umpire's mud on it; it was extra white, but it's an All-Star ball.

The game itself was a non-hitters duel. With the west-coast twilight starting time and the weak hitting during that era of games, I predicted a 1-0 NL victory in 25 innings. I wasn't too far off as the NL won 2-0 in 13 innings. (box score) A full twelve with no scoring at all. Man, what a game. When you're there it doesn't matter as much, it's an exhibition worth just seeing all those players together at the same time.

Can't wait for 2007 when the game comes to SBC Park (or whatever it will be named then) in San Francisco. Bonds will either be retired or a DH in the AL.

No comments:

Post a Comment